View of Mott, ND. Outside our front door, thinking about putting chickens in the chicken coop...Anybody know how much work? Should I be adventurous?
So despite all reluctancy and doubt, I love North Dakota! It feels like we are right where we are supposed to be. We rented a house about 55 miles outside of town. There is only 1 house with in probably 3 miles of us. I was nervous about being that far outside town but have found it more than refreshing. The kids love it, with over 1000 acres to explore. I love it because life has slowed down and I can actually enjoy my children. Less Expectations on me and more time spent doing things with the family. When Matt gets home, we stay home! Mostly because it's too far to go anywhere but none the less we stay home. We spend alot of time outside burning trash, cleaning up the yard, preparing our garden and playing with the kids (no body to watch us, no fence to worry about the baseball or football going over). I fill completely satisfied and can't help but think that this is what the Lord intended..For families to have space and not be on top of each other. Things that I wanted that were maybe a little indulgant don't seem so enticing and the only reason I can think is that living out and away has put us in a position to take ourselves out of the world, to be more self sufficient. Take it for what it is...Unfortunately we can't all live in the middle of nowhere but I find myself here...in the middle of nowhere...and find it to be spiritually uplifting.This week has brought on temperatures of 70 degrees. All the snow is gone. Mud is drying up. Spring seems to be breaking through. I've ordered seeds for vegetables and herbs of all kinds. Flowers to plant to add color and spice to the view. I am so excited for Summer!




7 comments:
I would LOVE having that much room!! We have only gottne a small taste of it in our small town of 700 but I totally get what you are saying. There is somthing so rewarding about being able to slow down and enjoy your family! I'm glad you are enjoying it!!
Yay! I'm so happy for you! It sounds like you are really coming to love it out there. It sounds really peaceful which is probably just what the Dr. ordered. There is just something about living on a ranch...I've always enjoyed the feeling of staying at my grandparents ranch, just never had the guts to live out in the sticks myself. So I'm happy to know that you are doing it and enjoying every minute of it. We sure miss you guys. Kiss those kids for me!
Hey B. I totally think you should get a chicken. At least one or two, see how much work it is. It can't be a terrible amount, right?
I'm glad you're enjoying it there, and that you're not covered in snow anymore! Let me know if you do actually get a chicken, I'm completely intrigued.
I'm so happy for you guys! It looks beautiful out there. I'm jealous of the peace and quiet and space you guys have. That is so fun for a young family (especially for the kids). They'll have such great memories of that place!
Thanks so much for the advice, it's been such a stress release putting him back in diapers! And I TOTALLY agree with your mom on the whole breast feeding comment! Smart lady that mom of yours! I'm so glad you are loving North Dakota. I might need to come visit you sometime, that sounds like a little piece of heaven on earth! I'm being very serious...do you have a guest room? Give those cute kids a hug from me...I think Gabe and Brooklyn need to have an arranged marriage by the way!
So glad to see you and your cute family are adjusting so well to your new place. I can relate to being 'in the middle of no where' in our town of 700. It really brings the gospel to a reality in a whole new level. And... 1 or 2 chickens is the same amount of work as a dozen, just in case you're working up your courage.
(PS I'm not one of those wierd blog stalkers. Matt and I graduated together and I check your blog every so often to see how you guys are doing. Tell him I said Hi.)
Krissi Hansen (Severson)
Ever since I read this post a couple of days ago I can't stop thinking about it!! Maybe it's because I'm driving around the bay area and there are way to many people and we are all squished together. Being out in the middle of no where with just my family sounds so wonderful. I'm so glad that you are enjoying it!! Will you be visiting Idaho in the near future? I'll be going there a couple of times this summer. Love ya! ps- your kids are as cute as ever.
Post a Comment